Is Back-to-School time your Me-Time?
There are kind of two camps of moms, right? Those whose hearts break a little at back-to-school time...and...those who go out and celebrate with friends after the kids are on the bus! I'm a mom of five---mine are in high school and college now, and I'm in the heart-breaking camp---I miss 'em!
No matter which camp you're in...your routine will be changing with the kids back at school. How can you take advantage of that?
As you're making your plans...I want to encourage you to make this a time to take charge of your health, and carve out a schedule that gets you moving! With our Walk 15 program---it's easy and fun to work a 15-minute calorie burning, mood-boosting mile into your day, anytime!
Here are 10 Mom-Approved Fitness Tips to build into your daily routine:
1. Schedule it! Don't kid yourself...if it's not on the calendar, it won't get done! As you're putting the school schedule on your calendar...block off time for yourself, too.
2. Get 'er done early! The day has a way of taking you down unexpected paths, right? Keep your exercise time non-negotiable and protect it by getting your workout done FIRST--- before anything else can come at you! It won't be long before you find yourself looking forward to that morning time for yourself!
3. Map your routine! This sounds simple, but it's important---I've seen people waste the time they set aside for exercise by wondering what exactly to do to exercise! If you're going to a gym...know which machines or spaces you want to use...what class you want to take. Don't leave that to chance...when it's your time to move...have your plan and jump right in. (Our Your Daily Walk app takes care of planning Walk workouts for you! Check that out on the Walk at Home website!)
4. Organize your gear! Again---to maximize your time...take a few minutes to gather your workout stuff. Fitness shoes, any firm bands or weights you like to use, whatever you like to wear, a water bottle...round it up in one place so you don't waste any time searching.
5. Boost your lunch break! If you have another job (besides being a mom)---step away from your desk for lunch to WALK---ooooh...how about starting a Walk 15 Lunch class where you work?! You can get a mile or two in, and still have time to eat! We have Walk 15 instructors who've lead classes in corporate conference rooms, etc.!
6. Include your kids! We know the powerful way exercise works to bust up the stress in our lives. Moving is healthy for our brain, and those kiddos can benefit from that, too. Greet them at home and Walk TOGETHER before an after school snack! Catch up on their day...connect! You're making special memories with this one, mama!
7. Maximize homework time! Do you set up an organized homework time at your house? I know that it can be tough to get everybody together at once, especially if your children are involved in sports or activities...we always seem to be running in different directions around here! But, if possible...set aside an hour for them to work on their homework...which gives YOU an hour to exercise! Meet up at the end to go over their work, sign papers, etc....and everybody feels accomplished!
8. Build a support community! So many studies continue to show that women crave community---and why not? We all have so much to offer each other! Why don't YOU be the one to become a Walk 15 instructor and gather some other moms during the school day for a Walk 15 class? Community centers...your home...a church basement...there are lots of options for low cost...and free fitness spaces! Plus--how nice would it be to earn some extra money for the family in this way?
9. Keep it simple! Don't you dare give any of your precious energy to worrying about what to wear, having to join a gym, what kind of weight-based/cardio ratio you need for the "perfect" routine...none of that! Realize that your body was made to move. You have everything you need to be strong and happy built right inside of you. Oh---so many times in life we complicate things! Don't overwhelm yourself with the HOW of it...just get up and Walk :)
10. Share how you're feeling! Trust me...it doesn't take long to feel the effects of exercise! In just seconds your brain will shoot out endorphins...those "feel good" chemicals... you will Walk away stress fast... and as you keep going... you will notice healthy changes in your body. You'll have more energy. Your clothes will fit better. You'll start making better choices with eating. DON'T KEEP THAT GOODNESS TO YOURSELF! Share what you're doing and how you're feeling with your friends and family! Why? Two awesome reasons---One...they will be so happy for you, and that will be motivation for you to continue! And, two... they will "catch" your passion...you will inspire those you love to take better care of themselves! Let your light shine!
Oh geez---now I've got myself all pumped up!
Wanna go for a WALK?
Find a class
Become an Instructor - Summer sale going on now! Basic certification all online and just $99 gets you started!